2012년 3월 13일 화요일

The problem of anonymity

When I watched Catfish, I thought of Dae-gi Kim's Facebook page. Last year, when I was doing Facebook enthusiasically, I found some teachers from it; such as Dr. Hwang, Dr. Han, etc,. However, the most zappy one from the list was Mr. Dae-gi Kim, the dormitory supervisor.
At first, I thought it was really him, because he was good at computer. He knows how to use Excel and he knows what students are doing in computer. Also, my grand parents are doing Facebook, sending message and e-mails to me. So, it wasn't a surprise for me that Mr. Kim's doing Facebook though he seems to be out of date.
I was hesitating because I liked to play tetris during the self-study time. If I add him as my friend, he would know whether I'm signed in or playing games instead of studying hard.
However, it was bit strange. The comments and other stuffs on his wall feels odd. I looked up the comments. It was like
"Mr. Kim, please don't catch me by Computer Violation!",
and the reply of Mr. Kim was
"You look ugly! Computer Violation!".
 It was quiet confusing. So, I asked my roommates who the hell is this guy. They didn't have any confidence but they said it's one of our senior or a 16th waver. I admired them. Whoever made this, it was so creative. But I started to worry about it. Can't they have any chance to do the special training for 1 month, and parents coming to school?

Though he made Kim's page for fun, it was impersonation of Kim, and most of the comments written by him was quiet insulting himself. He acted like a stupid on his page, so that everyone can laugh with it.

One day Mr. Kim saw it and just said 'delet it'. It was nice of him. Though he got angry, he accepted it as joke.

I think Catfish has many similar aspect with this case. One person frauds other person by not real identity. One big difference between Kim's case and Catfish is that Kim's case was for fun(though it broke Kim's heart), and Catfish was really frauding someone else.

Whether it's the matter of money or not, it's still the matter of morality. They sold pictures and earn money. She fraud him that she loves him.
While watching the movie, I felt so spooky. Some people say the guy who visits online friend is not usual too, but they are in relationship, so he have the right to visit her house and have some date!

Since my policy of adding friends is to add my off-line friends, I think it was nice idea. The point of this movie was 'do not trust online friends,' and I will never add new friends online.

댓글 2개:

  1. I like the way you relate the Mr. Kim story. I also saw that profile and I also warned students to take it down. But nobody knew who had done it, so it seemed to remain for a few months. I think anyone would agree that seeing a fake profile using their own name would be a bit disturbing. Many teachers are on Facebook now, so students have to be more aware.

    I'd have liked to read more about the movie Catfish, but I'm satisfied with the overall analysis you offer. I have a paper with edits on them for you to pick up. Grade pending.:)

    답글삭제
  2. This is also what I thought about when I first saw the movie!! And this is only in the case of our school, if we think about it, facebook and it's easy identity theft can easily become big problems with national security, celebrity secrets, and etc. I think the problem of facebook is bigger than we all think it is.

    답글삭제