2012년 3월 2일 금요일

Second Draft : Ode to B737


It was January 27th of 2003, the first day I met you. It was the beginning of my holiday, my trip to Jeju Island. On the way to the airport, I saw so many airplanes more than I'd even seen before, outside of book. We saw each other before boarding. You were wearing a clean blue uniform and had the Korean Air’s logo on your tail. Of course, it was my first flight, and your imposing paint also made me agitated.
When I got inside you, you were making the slight and soft sound of an engine, which made me even more agitated. The sound of your engines meant my first flight would start soon.
Slowly, you moved your body to taxi the runway, and you stopped there for seconds. You said, “Korean Air, Kilo Echo One Two One Five, cleared for taxi.” Then you started to charge. Then you said “Ready for take off.” And you just motioned your head up, and started to climb8. I was so impressed. Until the moment, the fastest transportation I ever took was my father’s car. The sound you made before the take off, soft engines and harsh crossing winds. It was so exciting.

However, the time I could spend with you was too short. Your fast speed and short distance was the problem. I was feeling the freedom of watching clouds , and tiny villages below, and suddenly we were 3000 feet above the sea. Unfortunately, there were no traffic jams, so we landed as soon as we got to class C. Our first flight finished in 1 hour and 15 minutes. The second flight, the way back to Gimpo from Jeju, I was too tired to enjoy your company, so I slept. 


With you, I was able to know the freedom and fun of flight. Finally, I told my parents that I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up. My parents worried about it, and I didn’t know why. As I went to middle school, I figured out that I have bad sight, have nearsightedness, and astigmatism. So, I gave up my dream to get a CPL and work in Korean Air, and started to live a normal life; study as much as I can.

I figured out that my true dream was to flight, not teaching students in University and do research. I tried to find out the way to become a pilot. However, the reality was harsh. Sorry to you, I found out that the only way to flight is to get a PPL and fly with Propeller plane such as Cessna. Tough I can’t have a real flight with you, I’m meeting you through the flight simulator.

After graduation, I’m going to get a PPL, and have a flight with Cessna. However, it was you that enabled me to find what I want to do, and gave some hope to me not to give up my dream. Every time I see you on photo or simulator, you remind my memories and feel thankful to you.*/
But, I truly love flight. The feeling of freedom after naviagting 2km of runway and take off. The villages and cities I can see, rivers, lakes, mountains, crops, sea, the clouds below me, night scenes of airports and metropolis cities, the thrill when the craft wobbles, the sound of scratching winds with spoilers, the feeling of rocking when we land, everything I can feel during the flight is so satisfying and exciting to me. Maybe among them, the freedom I can feel when I strive through white clouds and blue sky. 

I’ve been to many cities and countries with you; Hanoi in Vietnam, Osaka and Fukuoka in Japan, Beijing and Tianjin, Kunming in China, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Vientiane in Laos, Phnom Penh in Cambodia, Jeju, Incheon, Gimpo… Every time I have a flight with you, you give me freedom and joy.

댓글 1개:

  1. How closely did you read the corrections? Still too many errors left in this revision for me to give you the score it could get. But it is better and shows creativity. In the future, look a bit more closely at the red ink.:)

    답글삭제