2012년 9월 16일 일요일

The Martian Chronicles Favourite Quote

April 2031, Third Expedition, "Tush", said by the grandma of Lustig.

Tush is only a word, so might not be regarded as a quote. However, though it's only one word and it's a interjection, still the fresh and slight shock that came to me when I read it is lingering in my mind.

The first though I had was, 'Wow, how come this word can be showed up in American Literature?". The word 'Tush' is widely used among some students of 16th wave. For example, Hyun Jinkwan, me, etc. Actually, none of us thought that it was a real word that exists in dictionary. After reading this word, I told Jinkwan, that there's tush in the book. We were extremely shocked then. Also, what we thought was that the sounds expressing feeling is equal world widely. From that, we were able to see how the human races are same, and to feel how we should treat others. Though it was a short word, it actually snapped out minds, and was able to reconsider our attitudes toward other cultures.

The other reason why this word was impressing is because it made me to believe that the grand parents and other 1950s-Earth-like-stuffs are real, not Martians. When the grandma said this, I thought the real grandma is scolding Lustig for not noticing the reality, until the captain thought about the telepathy. Since the year has changed compare to the previous chapter, I thought those Earth people are living on the another part of the planet. However, when I read the part, that captain thinks about the possibility of telepathy and hallucinations, then I was able to realize that it was fake. The word 'Tush' was quiet important for me to believe the story was real.

댓글 1개:

  1. Really? All this from one word? Interesting. I'm not sure how other people use it, but most often it is a slang word for your "behind" or "bottom" or "bum."

    답글삭제